Tuesday, May 15, 2012

1 Chronicles 1-17 - yawn

The readings - Days 120-126 - 1 Chronicles 1-17

Step two in the overly long process of catching up from wayyyyy behind...

Welcome to Chronicles.

It's funny - before doing this, and having already read Chronicles (or, at least, most of it), I would have answered the question "what's the single most tedious book in the Bible?" with either Numbers or Leviticus, having never read either of them.

I would have been wrong. This book, in a nutshell, is boring.

The first nine chapters are entirely composed of genealogies.

Nine. Chapters.

Of names.

Yes, it's that boring.



The real problem, though, is that even after you get past the endless lists of begats and begets, you're still in reruns, since the book, so far at least, is still just summarizing the story of David and Saul, only it's like if you took Lord of the Rings or The Bourne Identity and asked a chartered accountant to prepare a presentation on the plot points, and then had Ben Stein present it to you.

"And then David fled from... anyone? anyone? anyone? Saul..."

So there you have it. Seventeen chapters of 1 Chronicles and one of the shortest posts so far - and I don't even particularly feel like I've cheated or skipped over anything.

I'm happy I got through it, though. Tomorrow (possibly Thursday) I should be all caught up.

No comments:

Post a Comment